Monday, December 06, 2004

Class: Week Ten

Today's run was very encouraging. There's some lovely work going on. I've given a few notes to Alice but on the whole I was pleased and impressed by what I saw.

I saw good work from everyone, but I want to mention a few particular achievements (not being on this list does not imply criticism or dissatisfaction with your work):
  • In the opening migration dance, Kelly is doing exactly the right facial expression. Neutral, serious.
  • Philippa: you are hilarious throughout.
  • Julia: I noticed that you picked up volume and clarity in the second run without destroying the gentle emotionality of your vocal tone. This was a good note for all I thought.
  • Annie: you are claiming the audience's attention for the phone calls very well.
  • Elina: I liked the simplicity that you brought to the line "I just felt really lonely". It's because its unfussy and plain that it becomes rather moving.
  • Dana: you bring a nice emotional quality to the 'what for should you cry?' line. It's not melodramatic, just very heartfelt.

It works best when it's very slick, very controlled, rather minimal - think of Mainstream for performance style. The gestural stuff is very good - I particularly liked what Alice says below about 'ripple gestures' and I'd urge you to work further on these. I would ask you to check your lines - when you approximate or half-remember them, you tend to 'normalise' them. It's better if you retain the oddness of them.

Obviously the piece will be marked next week. What we will be looking for is how far you demonstrate a practical understanding of the Suspect Culture performance style and attitude. Do bear this in mind; it should give you confidence to go with the harsher, more abstract, cool performance style you were displaying at moments today. I think you have the makings of a serious, adult, artistically sophisticated show in Homesick and I'm impressed with the way it's going.

There were two minuscule thoughts I had about rewriting:

  • Annie: could you extend the line in your snail speech to "Just a shell on my back and a mucopolysaccharide slime trail". (Just because (a) the rhythm's better and (b) you're all excellent at saying unsayable lines.)
  • Elina: the scene may go but if it stays could you cut this line down to "Another Baileys, Auntie*?" [*or, if you have a preferable familiar word for some relative, even in Greek maybe, use that.]

Please continue to report back on rehearsals or offer ideas on the blog. I look forward to watching the show.

Dan Rebellato

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home