Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Translation

I just wanted to quickly state what some of us were talking about at the meeting yesterday. We were discussing the profoundness of some of the lines and "I cant go home because I've forgotten where I was born" was a really impacting one and we found it was slightly lost by being spoken in a foreign language. The idea of using different languages to slightly alienate the audience is great, I just think that this line and perhaps any other really important ones should be said in English. We could even emphasise their importance by all freezing and cutting off any music used, when they are said.

Kelly Barton

1 Comments:

Blogger danrebellato said...

I agree with the first part of this. We should be careful where we use languages other than English but we should also remember the intriguing effect of hearing things said in other languages - especially when you catch a word (even though Ania's no longer performing, I very much liked it when she/you had the line "I can't go home any more because I was raised by snails in Sheffield" where all I could understand was the word "Sheffield" coming through the Polish). But you're right, lines that you think are particularly important we should keep in English. (But, hey, why not keep some lines as private pleasures? So what if no one hears it - you've heard it and know that there are buried layers). I can suggest some lines in the script that should/could be translated, but you should take the final decision on that.

I'm less sure that emphasising certain lines by freezing and cutting off the music is such a good idea: I don't think Suspect Culture are ever sententious or preachy and it would seem overemphatic to frame a particular line like that. A bit like nudging the audience in the ribs when it happens. Let's trust that if a line or an image is powerful the audience will feel that power; and if they don't, it doesn't matter too much.

11:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home