Monday, November 01, 2004

Subtle Undertones

Just a quick note on the article written by Dan, which presented issues and ideas which I hadn't even begun to think about, so I guess I wanted to highlight them. I was surprised to see that there is a subtle political undertone to all the productions put on by Suspect Culture. For example the settings, which rightly described by Marc Augé are all non-spaces; airports, shopping malls and bars.

There is also their almost faithful following of Adorno's philosophy. For example, the fact that the productions never give a clear political message:
"The desire to reduce everything to reasoned concepts is itself, as Adorno has said, the catastrophe"
Maybe we could have the same undertone in our production? We could think about whether there is something that we, as a group, feel strongly about and then try to subtly convey it to the audience.

Julia Angeli

1 Comments:

Blogger danrebellato said...

I agree with you. I think the political nature of their work is important and it's not something we've touched on directly, though if the group watches Lament, I think there is a persistent left-wing political anger about the closing off of the utopian impulse.

I don't think we should think of it as smuggling 'messages' as much as allowing a sense of the global to resonate with the personal stories. That we have been doing a lot. I think one key to bringing this out in our project might be looking more at the themes of migration, asylum seeking, etc. that have emerged from the research presentations.

8:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home