Thursday, November 25, 2004

Replying to Dan

With the repetition, I meant throughout every script, to have a VERY obvious repeated line to end, or hidden somewhere, just like we repeat the 'I can't go home any more' in our group scene. I was imagining something similar to Timeless repeating their evening by the lake phrase, it was just an idea that we could add which I thought would make the scenes link.

And with the narrative/linear idea, I think I meant we need to set the scripts somewhere, like someone's idea of the toilets; Like the Airport in Airport, the pub in Timeless and the hotel room in Mainstream.

I used the words linear and narrative in the wrong sense. The overall way that I view Suspect Culture's productions is to see a definite setting for them, so that in my own imagination I build up their productions and I can see them in my mind's eye, but in ours we haven't decided on a place. Although I guess this does present Suspect Culture's more disjointed and abstract use of scenes.

Annie Rook

1 Comments:

Blogger danrebellato said...

I agree with you. A sense of place would be useful and I'd like to think the audience will follow some characters through different scenarios. I can, of course, suggest a single place for the middle section of the performance and indicate the continuities between characters but I wanted to leave that for the group to discover. But you're right, it may just seem too daunting for the company and confusing for the audience.

For the moment I'd like to compromise and suggest a place, but leave the group to discover where the continuities of character might be. But which place? While I like the 'public toilet' idea, it doesn't seem sufficiently connected to the idea of 'home' to work. I'm still wondering whether a train station - where all the trains are cancelled and everyone's trying to get home - might be more effective. What does everyone think?

4:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home