Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Liminal Space: Toilet

I have an idea of a “TOILET” serving as a set. I thought we might create a set of four toilets, each one with a kind of a removable matching door. When the actor enters the toilet and closes the door, then a moving board might be pulled up so that the audience would be able to watch individual inside as if spying on his/her privacy... In my opinion "the toilet" is a great idea for a set as it certainly is an example of liminal space: a sphere of everybody's intimacy which separates us from hectic daily routine - the door itself being the borderline and the entry to the "real" world, where we are ourselves, nude and stripped of the 'masks' worn in everyday reality. There in the toilet we just stop pretending and no longer play a part of, say, a beautiful loving wife or a tough businessman. I hope you know what I mean?

I also thought that we should add some extracts to our script. In the part where we talk about the reasons for which we can not come back home... We could give some real-life examples of: a prostitute, a prisoner, a gay person, an alcoholic sleeping under a bridge, a battered wife, or a rebellious teenager on the run?...I really think that the above examples explain why some people cannot or are not willing to come home. What I would also like to add is what I already mentioned in the class - I mean that in the background there could be an "inner voice" (recorded in various languages) repeating a word "HOME" - might create an effective echo effect.

Bye for now. See you all on Wednesday

Ania Nieczuja-Ostrowska

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home