Monday, November 08, 2004

Home Sweet Home in 31 years Time

For some reason I don't like associating house cleaning products with the thought of home. Probably because of the smell they produce. It's just so sterile and neutral that there seems to be no personality to anywhere touched with them. I suppose the smell of furniture polish has that reminiscing thought of a lazy Sunday when my mum used to have to round the family up when we were younger and give us each a job. Polishing was always the easiest so I tended to pick that one!

I don't have a slinky. But wish I did.

If I imagine my house when I'm 50 I see it as the most cosy and welcoming place that all my friends know. Its always full of people and friends so there is a constant vibrant atmosphere. Its fairly large but so comforting that you don't notice the size of the house. There's a large log fire (real logs I might add, none of your Argos imitation) and just like Lauren's real image of home, there is the constant smell of fresh cooking and baked bread. Me and my husband are very happy together as I have retired work early to look after the house. At the top floor there is a massive sky light which lets all the light into the house so it is very bright. All over the house there is art work which friends and family have painted over the years. Everywhere, there are small mementos which all have such meaning to me personally but to others would just seem like rubbish. There are photographs all over the house from travelling and of friends and family.

When I was watching the sheet and pole houses being built, I could see what Dan meant when he said that they were very building like. Perhaps the task was difficult because we all have a personal image of what we would call home and therefore buildings emerged just because they're an unbiased representation of a 'home'. The image that I had of making a home with the sticks and sheets is very similar to that of what Lauren blogged. I imagined the sheet being laid out on the floor with people curled up around the edges each with the sheet pulled slightly over them for warmth. This reminds me of girly sleep overs that I had when I was younger, and also jumping on the bed with my mum early in the weekend and curling in any spaces.

Claire Stainer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home