Saturday, November 27, 2004

the bilingual enthusiast ... and other things

  • I went to the theatre to see Romeo and Juliet, done by a group from Iceland, and it was excellent! Hhe, very funny and extremely sad! They made fun of the English, kissed the audience, really involved them, etc.(I know I'm completely off the point but...ok!)
  • Anyway, they spoke in English throughout (mostly) but then when it came to the real tragedy (the killings etc., dyings) they spoke in Icelandic (is that the language!!!?? hehe) and it was sooo powerful. It was so personal, honest, I felt like I was intruding because Juliet was really grieving, not acting, but really the Icelandic Juliet and I felt for her, guys, I really did.
  • What I'm saying is that I think speaking in other languages when saying something really honest can be extremely powerful. I know someone said that we should use foreign languages but not for the 'important' bits (I wanna say it was Alice who blogged it??? but I dont remember... sorry!!) but, as you can see, I think that it could have a really powerful effect.
  • I bought a mini slinky, by the way, so we are one slinky richer!
  • I still think the cloth instead of salt would be really nice, and equally meaningful, by the way.
  • I think it's cool to use music but wouldn't it be great if at one moment someone was listening to music, thinking about how happy it made them, reminiscing, and all that... then suddenly, silence, they are alone, sad, homesick.
  • I think that silence can really really be effective and it would make the audiecne feel as though they are intruding...(which I remember Claire, I think, was talking about the whole .... alienating thing... right?)
  • One more thing, I saw this Chinese company dance thing a couple of weeks ago and it just reminded me of it.. ok. the beginning, when we do the migration dance thing.. it could be done in complete silence. everyone going at their own pace, we could create some kind of rhythm. you know.. some kind of rhythmic migration, so we need no music, just ourselves, I dont know why, but I really like the silence, intimate, honest thing. Music sometimes seems to hide the truth, you know?
All from me, for now. Have a nice weekend,

Dana Karic

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home