Saturday, October 16, 2004

The Wanderers

Just thought I should give an update on my Gypsy research. I really wanted to research into this area because I've had a fascination with these people for a long time. It stems from the fact that deep down not only do I greatly respect them, but in a way I want to possess their ideologies and their beliefs. They are wanderers of the earth, not chained down by social conventions or capitalist desires. They live their life day to day and are reluctant to set down roots.

  • The origin of the Gypsy people can be traced to India. During its migration through Europe and Asia this language was to become enriched with words from the different countries in which it was present, giving rise to various dialects of Romany. I found this a lovely notion of a language made up of all the places they had visited.
  • In Gypsy culture the dominating structure is the family or family ties. Traditionally the gypsy people have been organized in lineages or patrilineal clans which may group up to five generations around the patriarch.
  • Their religion is rich in detail and form, something akin to mythology sprinkled with multiple superstitions. They are able to unite the fantastic and the practical like few others can do.
  • Origins of these nomadic people - They are descendents of Cain who was outlawed by God to be a 'wanderer, a fugitive on earth', for murdering his brother Abel.

I found these facts interesting and I hope you do too!

Julia Angeli

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home