Thursday, October 21, 2004

Sing Me Back Home

Great posts everyone, keep them coming. I think it's very good that we're casting our net wide and allowing our imaginations to be roam very broadly on this topic. We can start bringing the material together only once we've explored.

I was thinking about music and started making a list of songs I like that specifically refer to 'home'. I'm not suggesting we use any of these in the show - Suspect Culture have a distinctive and measured musical style, and we haven't begun to think about how we want to engage with this feature of their theatrical signature. But a list of songs might prompt further thought.

  • 'Sing Me Back Home' Merle Haggard
  • 'Bring It On Home To Me' Sam Cooke
  • 'Come On Home' Franz Ferdinand
  • 'Down In My Hometown' The Flatlanders
  • 'Feel Like Going Home' Charlie Rich
  • 'Green Green Grass of Home' (various)
  • 'I Can Never Go Home Anymore' The Shangri-Las
  • 'Home in San Antone' Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys
  • 'Just to See My Holly Home' Bonnie "Prince" Billy
  • 'The South is Only a Home' The Fiery Furnaces
  • 'In Every Dream Home a Heartache' Roxy Music
  • 'Little Cabin on the Hill' Elvis Presley
  • 'There's No Home for You Here' The White Stripes
  • 'My New House' The Fall
  • 'My Hometown' Whiskeytown
  • 'Thank God For My Christian Home' (!) The Louvin Brothers
  • 'Homeward Bound' Simon and Garfunkel
  • 'Back Home' England World Cup Squad 1970
  • 'She's Leaving Home' The Beatles
  • 'Subterranean Homesick Blues' Bob Dylan
  • 'Heavenly Houseboat Blues' Townes Van Zandt
  • 'I Don't Want to Play House' Tammy Wynette
  • 'My Blue Heaven' (various)

Doing a quick web search, there appear to be songs called 'Homesick' by artists including: Kings of Convenience, 'NSYNC, The Cure, The Vines, Soul Asylum, The Finn Brothers. Donovan recorded a song called 'Homesickness' and there was a Chicago blues singer from the fifties known as Homesick James Williamson.

If you have any titles to add to the list, you can do so by clicking on 'comments' at the bottom of this post and following the instructions.

Dan Rebellato

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home