Sunday, October 10, 2004

Peruvian Homesickness

I just wanted to make a comment regarding the idea of bilingualism and incorporating it into our piece. I really like Dana's suggestion of using different languages as a way of relating to the work of Suspect Culture. For example if we were talking in different languages, the audience would continually be having to play 'catch-up' as it were. Just like how we all felt whilst we were watching the opening of Mainstream. I have experienced that feeling of being alienated from the world due to the language barrier whilst I was living in Peru. When I first arrived I did not speak very fluent Spanish, just enough to get by on. However by the end of my 6 months there my Spanish had improved immensely and so had my Quechua (the native Indian language). Even though I wasn’t living with anyone who spoke any English I still managed to feel very much at home there and I am currently experiencing the strange sensation of feeling homesick for Peru, not for my home in England! Anyway I really think this could be an interesting avenue to explore for our project. What does everyone else think?

Kim Varvell

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home