Thursday, October 07, 2004

Me and my Mum

When I opened our course booklet and saw that the theme of our devised piece would be homesickness I nearly fell out my chair! The reason being my mother has recently completed a BA in Fine Arts and during her final year chose to base all her work on the theme of...HOMESICKNESS! Obviously as an artist she chose certain areas to explore and discarded others; for example, she started looking at refugees and people fleeing from their homes to alien cultures, but in the end her focus was on liminal spaces such as lifts and escalators. Liminal spaces (travelling spaces that connect one area to another, but have no real identity of their own) deeply interested me in her work (she did video installation) and could even be an area we explore in our piece.

The first exercise we did on Monday was using liminal spaces. The way we crossed the space as we "travelled" from home to home, did anyone else feel that these spaces began to represent home to a greater degree that the places we lived in?

Alice Hansen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home