Monday, October 11, 2004

Learning English

Just a funny little note about being 'bilingual'. English is my native language and I have never been fortunate enough to learn another, however after my first few weeks here I am beginning to realize that I will be bilingual before my year at Royal Holloway is up. On leaving the states all of my friends were ragging on me and saying that I was going to come back with a British accent. While I most certainly will not be changing my accent (if I did attempt one it would be such a mosh of the different accents from the various areas of the UK that you all would end up laughing hysterically), I have already begun adopting some of the words you use. Some out of necessity, others because I just like them.

Everyone has been wonderfully patient with me every time I have to ask what something means and usually we all have a good laugh about our odd language barrier. I caused quite a commotion one night at dinner when I told one flat mate that I liked her pants. No her underwear was not showing, but I did like her trousers. As soon as I had said it I knew laughter was sure to follow. I still say line - queue will take some getting used to - and every once and a while something costs five dollars instead of five pounds, but I'm working on becoming as bilingual as possible. My nasal American accent will be with me forever, but I think adapting to the language differences is important. I think it is a part of accepting my new home.

I know that the UK is similar to the US in that different areas have different speech patterns, colloquialisms, phrases and accents. It might be interesting for us to think about how that makes us feel about home. How do you feel when you hear someone who has the same accent as you do? What about someone using a phrase that is only common to your area? I know it makes me think of home, how 'bout the rest of you?

Lauren Abend


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home