Monday, October 25, 2004

Doctor! Doctor! Homesickness Strikes!

From the lesson, I really began to run with some ideas about our actual performance. Through my research about Interior design (which I'll share more with when I do my presentation no doubt), I've found some stuff out about colour psychology. I thought it would be really interesting to reflect the meaning of colours in either the lighting or the costumes that we wear in order to reflect a mood perhaps. I really liked the idea of using a particular movement that is stylised so that it might recur after someone has used it. Or perhaps when someone is feeling home sick?!

I was just wondering, weather anyone has actually felt really homesickness before (hope that's not too personal?!) because I know I have and I thought I should share it with you.

It was this summer when I went away with a group of my best friends, which we had been looking forward to for ages. When we arrived we were full of excitement and it was so great being on your own for that long without the nagging of parents (ahhh uni life!!). But as the week progressed, we slowly became tired of each other and myself, I really began to miss home. I did the whole ringing home in tears thing, being the drama queen that I am (well surely we all are right?!). I was really bad towards the end of the week, I didn't want to talk to anyone and I couldn't be bothered to do anything either. I just deflated and was not myself. But I think it was the whole experience of being with people for such a long time which really begins to exaggerate their faults.

Which led me to the question; is homesickness caused by the new surrounding , or the absence of the old ones? Perhaps if I had been away with different people I wouldn't have felt homesick. I mean, I haven't once felt it since starting RHUL, so that makes me think that homesickness is perhaps caused by the new surroundings rather than missing home. Thats my opinion anyway! Blogtastic!

Claire Stainer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home