Monday, October 18, 2004

Airports

Re-reading Rachael’s blog today, reminded me of the new film that’s recently come out, about the man that lives in the airport? It’s called The Terminal. I love this concept, that the liminal space that everyone moves through so quickly and never becomes attached to becomes this guy's home. It's based on a true story about a French man who really is forced to live in the airport due to his homeland having been the subject of a coup (a new power takes over), and his visa instantly becomes invalid. I believe the character it’s based on was paid a good few thousand pounds and yet I believe he still chooses to live in the airport, I might have made that up but it sounds like a good yarn.

I really enjoyed the concept of Suspect Culture’s Airport. I always associate airports with holidays or trips away, and I’ve always loved them despite having spent many hours being delayed sitting in them. I tend to enjoy that time of peace, people watching, in the knowledge there’s nothing you can do in order to hurry them up, and being able to anticipate the holiday, or getting back to home. It heightens the excitement for me, much like the characters in Airport, who sees the airport as an opportunity to meet new ladies, and in The Terminal, who is forced to view it as a home but then comes to love it.

All in all I love the settings of airports and train stations and any other similar liminal spaces, anyone else agree?

Annie Rook

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home